Friday, April 22, 2011

Withdrawals...

It's only day 4 of my cleanse, and I woke up this morning feeling like crap.
If I could explain what my body feels like, I would say that it feels like I'm one of those crazy people who tries to reach spiritual enlightenment by standing on one leg and not moving for 90 days...except I don't feel enlightened at all.
My body feels really weak and my brain is having trouble focusing.
If you haven't seen the movie 'Super Size Me,' it's basically a documentary following Morgan Spurlock, a vegan health-nut who decides to eat only McDonald's for 30 days to see how it would change his body/mind.  On the second day, after eating a McDonald's breakfast, he says he feels like crap.  His body feels weak and sluggish, and his mind can't focus.   I feel the same way now, except it's the exact opposite (not that I eat at McDonald's, like ever.  Gross).  I went from eating what I consider is an average diet (not super unhealthy, but definitely not the healthiest.  I love food, and I can't pass up a delicious sandwich, pasta dish, burrito, or cupcake) to eating an extremely health-conscious diet that has completely eliminated everything I'm used to.
My Mom, who is a doctor, told me that my body is going through a healing reaction.  By eliminating foods that were in my every-day (or weekly) diet, (caffeine, sugar, red meat, dairy, gluten, processed foods, alcohol), my body is freaking out now that it has been shaken up with a completely new diet.
I was shocked when I woke up this morning feeling this way, because I just assumed that by eating lots of kale, broccoli, avocados, carrots, quinoa, apples, oranges, plenty of water, etc, that my body would feel amazing immediately.  I guess your body needs to go through the initial shock of cutting things that you are used to consuming out of it's system before it can allow the nutritional powers of new, healthy foods kick in.
It's very interesting to me how one's body/mind is attached to certain foods.  I wonder if I was 'addicted' to certain foods (cheese? sandwiches? pasta? steak?).
I really hope that I feel better in a few days.  There is no way that I am giving up on this experiment, but I would like to believe that eating the freshest, most nutritional foods truly does make you feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment