Friday, June 3, 2011

The Burning House

The Burning House is a brilliant website that asks it's reader the question, "what items would you take with you if your house was on fire?"
I often ask myself that same question, almost as if I'm challenging myself to prioritize my belongings.  Would I take my favorite Woody Allen book over my framed portrait of my Mother?
Would I take my favorite record over a small gift that my Boyfriend bought for me at a thrift store?
The Burning House itself poses the same questions, saying that 'It's a conflict between what's practical, valuable and sentimental.  What you would take reflects your interests, backgrounds and priorities,"  which is absolutely true
I wanted to share a few of my favorite submissions, followed by my own submission at the very end.


















and here is mine:

- Hawk wing that Brian found and gifted to me.  It smells a little funny and might be impractical but I'd somehow rather have this than my cellphone.
- My passport.  This is my excuse to finally move to Europe.
- Carved wooden Armadillo that I bought in Costa Rica while on a trip with my family.
- 'Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance.'  An important book to have in a post-apocalyptic environment.
- My Grandpa's pocketknife.
- Floral headdress that I made for my birthday last year so that I remember the good times.
- Baby fox skull.  Still not quite sure why, but I wouldn't leave it behind.
- Shell from the beach in Monterey to remind me of home.
- California Poppies postcard from Big Sur to remind me of beauty.
- Film camera to continue capturing memories.
- Turquoise bracelet that Brian's Mom gave me a few years ago.  She said the bracelet reminded her of me and I thought that was really sweet.
- Owl salt shaker I bought with one of my BFF's in San Francisco.  The weekend I bought it was lovely and memorable.
- Photobooth of Brian and myself.
- Framed photograph of my Mom.  This would be my number one.
- Mom's vintage t-shirt from the 70's.  I don't even really wear this shirt, but my Mom used to wear it all the time when we were growing up and I really loved it and I still do.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I saw this website the other day and I think it's brilliant.
    Also, your mom's outfit looks pretty awesome from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving Wendy. Thank you for sharing and including me in your rescued items pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please write more. it's been over a month.

    ReplyDelete